Dental implants are replacement tooth roots which provide a strong foundation for permanent replacement teeth. Dental implants look, feel and function like natural teeth and offer the longest term solution when compared to alternative tooth replacements such as partial bridges and dentures.
Dental Implants can:
- Improve appearance by restoring a natural smile.
- Allow patients to speak without worry that their dentures might slip out of place.
- Dental implants allow patients to eat a full diet including items that are commonly restricted with dentures.
- Dental implants last for many years, even a lifetime.
- Eliminate the inconvenience of removing and storing dentures and can save the wearer money in adhesives.
- There are several different options available to you depending on your individual needs.
Dental Implant Options
All On 4 Dental Implants
All On 4 dental implants (also known as Pro Arch dental implants) are a set of 4 dental implants that connect to the full arch of your mouth. During the procedure, four dental implants are strategically placed in the arch where the bone volume is at its greatest. Usually, a fixed provisional set of teeth are attached to the implants on the same day. A soft diet is generally recommended for the first few days; however, most patients can return to eating the foods they enjoy with renewed confidence within a short period of time. After an adequate amount of time has passed, allowing the mouth time to heal and to insure that the implants have successfully fused to the bone, the provisional teeth are replaced with a final, fixed permanent set of teeth.
Singular Tooth Implants
When a tooth is missing or a tooth is going to be lost, two common replacement options are a tooth supported fixed bridge or an implant supported crown. A fixed bridge involves grinding down adjacent teeth into peg shapes in order to fit the cemented bridge in place. It is a stable solution with good esthetics and function that is fairly easy to install. However, a tooth supported fixed bridge sacrifices tooth structure of the adjacent teeth and makes them more prone to future problems.
If You Have Several Missing Teeth
The ability to comfortably chew, enjoy and digest your food can be hampered when several teeth are missing. The only fixed alternative in a situation such as this is implant treatment. With this in mind, the two solutions available include individual, separate crowns on dental implants or a bridge attached to two or more dental implants. Neither of these options requires grinding down adjacent teeth or utilizing clasps to hold a removable partial denture in place. Having dental implants replacing your lost back teeth will give you new, unparalleled strength and stability that allows you to eat what you want. They also help preserve your jawbone and facial appearance.
Benefits of replacing several missing teeth with implant supported crowns:
- The only fixed alternative in this situation
- A stable, secure solution that lets you eat what you want
- Preserves your facial appearance and helps prevent bone loss
Dr. Voigt offers several other dental implant procedures in San Antonio, TX. To schedule an appointment and see which option is best for you, please fill out the form below or call Dr. Voigt.
Call Now: (210) 774-6654